It’s Blue Monday! Whether or not you believe it’s truly possible to calculate the year’s most miserable day, between post-Christmas sadness, new year’s resolutions fallen by the wayside, and the cold, wet weather sweeping the nation, it’s fair to say that mid-January might be a time where you feel a little down. Here are 10 quick ways to cheer yourself up:
1) Have a hot drink. There’s nothing like cuddling up with a nice mug of tea, coffee or hot chocolate, though remember not to have caffeine if you’re having a drink before bed. Herbal teas have all sorts of health benefits, and lemon balm tea is even thought to lift the spirits!
2) Brighten up your home with flowers. There’s something pleasing about bringing home a nice bunch of flowers and putting them in water, and it’s an instant way to lift a room.
3) Bake something. Baking can help to relieve stress, and you’ll be able to eat the delicious results! Plus if you go for a chocolatey recipe, it will stimulate the release of endorphins, a well-known “Happy Hormone”!
4) Cuddle a pet. Petting a cat or dog can be very therapeutic, and since they have no idea it’s January, their enthusiasm at being fussed over can rub off on you!
5) Watch your favourite film. Better yet, break out a childhood classic, something that you used to watch on days off from school to instantly cheer yourself up.
6) Take a hot shower or bath. A warm bath is a great way to relax in the evening, especially if you add in some fragrant bubble bath, essential oils or bath salts, while a shower is an invigorating morning pick-me-up!
7) Play happy music. Get together your very own happy playlist (or burn a CD, if you’re still into that) and put it on whenever you need an instant boost!
8) Clean the house. Perhaps not the most fun thing to think about, and there’s always that stage where everything looks even worse than when you started, but once you’ve pushed through that stage, decluttered, and reorganised, you’ll feel a lot better. Aim to clean a room a week if the thought of sorting out the entire house is a bit daunting.
9) Do some exercise. You can trigger the release of feel-good hormones like endorphins after just five minutes of working out, so you don’t even need to hit the gym — even just a few sit-ups or stretches in the morning are a good pick-me-up.
10) Have a nap. Of course we weren’t going to write an entire list without mentioning something sleep-related, but a 20-minute nap can make you feel refreshed and alert, as well as giving you time to take a break and relax.
Labels: Advice, Just for fun